Situated at 5816 Clarendon Road in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, the Wyckoff House is New York City’s oldest surviving house. Built around 1652, it’s also the oldest surviving example of Dutch saltbox construction and was one of the first European-built structures on Long Island. However, the bulk of the house was either extended or refurbished in the 1800s, but a small kitchen dates back to the 1700s; only small portions of the original house remain.
Pieter Claesen Wyckoff, an illiterate teenage farm laborer, arrived in the New Netherlands in 1637. After serving his indenture to the van Rensselaer family, he and his wife, Grietje van Nes, settled in the village of Nieuw Amersfoort (modern East Flatbush-Flatlands, Brooklyn) where Wyckoff became a successful farmer and magistrate. Today his and Grietje’s eleven children have more than 50,000 descendants. Historic House Trust
The Wyckoff House was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967 and is now a museum.